Rimondi Fountain, Rethymnon, Greece

The Rimondi fountain started being built in 1626, by order of Venetian governor Rimondi, on site of a much older one, believed to have existed since at least 1588. The fountain was built to address the severe water shortages, common to all Cretan towns at the time. The additions made during Turkish times either fell into decay or were destroyed by the local inhabitants. The fountain includes four Corinthian columns and spouts in the shape of lion's heads.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Martim Moniz Square, Lisbon, Portugal

The Gates of Mdina, Malta

Church of Santa Maria de Belém, Lisbon, Portugal

Lisbon's City Walls, Portugal