Showing posts from September, 2016

Hungarian National Gallery, Budapest, Hungary

The Hungarian National Galery displays art from medieval times to present days but it's particularly strong in Hungarian Art Noveau. It includes the works of many 19th and 20th centuries Hungarian artists who worked in Paris and other locations in the West. It was created in 1957 and is located within the Royal Palace since 1975. Opening hours : Tuesday to Sunday 10 am - 5 pm Entrance fee : HUF 1800 (about €5.80, 2016) Back to Budapest 

Archaeological excavations in Lisbon's Cathedral Cloister, Portugal

Archaeological excavations in Lisbon's Cathedral Cloister started in 1990. These excavations have unearthed remnants of human presence since the Iron Age.It's possible to see the remains of a Roman road with shops on both sides. This road would have connected the Roman Theater to the port area. From the Roman period, there's also part of a kitchen and a "cloaca" (sewage system).From later periods there are traces of Visigothic buildings and a very visible part of a Moorish building with red walls, probably related with the Mosque that once stood on the site where Lisbon's cathedral was built. Opening hours : 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Ticket (standard) : €2.5 (€4 combined with the Treasury), cash only. Roman road and shops. Roman sewage system close to a Moorish public building. Moorish building.

Spanish Synagogue, Prague, Czech Republic

The Spanish synagogue is the most recent synagogue in Prague, yet paradoxically it was built, in 1868, on the site of the oldest synagogue in Prague. It's called the Spanish synagogue for its impressive Moorish interior design, resembling the Al Alhambra , in Granada. Close to the synagogue, there is a statue of famous writer Franz Kafka. The synagogue is part of the Jewish Museum in Prague. Opening hours : 9 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. (6 p.m. Apr.-Oct.) Tickets : You can only buy combined tickets. Tickets including the synagogue range from CZK70 to CZK480 (€2.60 to €17.80)

S. Domingos Church, Lisbon, Portugal

The church of São Domingos still displays the scars of the fire of 1959, almost as a reminder of one of the most abominable events in Portuguese history, the Lisbon massacre. In Easter 1506 a crowd of Catholics and foreign sailors anchored in river Tagus, instigated by Dominican friars, persecuted, tortured, killed and burned at the stake hundreds of jews accused of heresy. Some of the people involved in this massacre were later arrested and hanged while others lost all their possessions to the crown. The Dominican friars were burnt at the stake. In the square in front of the church, there's a small monument, erected in 2008, in memory of those lost in the massacre. The original church was built in the 13th century under king D. Sancho II and enlarged under king D. Afonso III and king D. Manuel I- in whose reign the massacre occurred, nine years after he decreed the expulsion or conversion of all the Portuguese jews. In 1531 the church was severely damaged by an earthquake a

Tombs of the Kings, Paphos, Cyprus

Despite their designation, these tombs were actually for aristocrats and high officials from Paphos. This necropolis dates back to the 4th century BC. Some of the tombs feature Doric columns and frescoed walls and in some cases imitate the houses of the living.  Although the tombs have been known for centuries, excavations on the site only begun, in a systematic way, in the 1970s. The tombs are classified as World Heritage by UNESCO. Opening hours : Mon.- Sun. 8.30 a.m. to 5 pm. (7.30 16th Apr. to 15th Sep.) Entrance fee : €2.50 How to go: Moving around Cyprus Back to Paphos

Castle of the Moors, Sintra

The Castle of the Moors was built during the Arab occupation, in the 10th century and was dependent of the Caliphate of Cordoba. In the 12th century, it was attacked by several Crusaders, the first of which king Sigurd I of Norway. However, it was not conquered but abandoned, by the Islamic forces, after King Afonso Henriques of Portugal conquered Lisbon's Castle (São Jorge), in 1147. The Castle of the Moors eventually fell into disrepair until, in the 19th century, King Fernando II took interest and restoration started. Opening hours : 9.30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Entrance fee (standard): €8