The Gates of Mdina, Malta

Mdina walls have three gates: the Mdina Gate, the Greeks Gate and the Gharreqin Gate.



The Main Gate, also known as Vilhena gate, was built in 1724, under Grandmaster Antonio Manoel de Vilhena, who in 1722 ordered the renovation and restoration of Mdina. The courtyard behind the main gate was demolished to make way for the Vilhena Palace and a new gate had to be built, a few meters to the left of the old one, which was walled up. The Gate has reliefs of Saint Agatha, Saint Paul and Saint Publius, the three patron saints of Malta.


The Greeks Gate is the oldest of the three Gates, dating back to medieval times. It was also renovated in 1724 when an outer portal was built in the baroque style. It is known as the Greeks Gate because a small community of Greeks once lived by the gate. For many years it was the only gate by which the slaves were allowed to enter Mdina.



The Gharreqin Gate is the less known and most recent of the three Gates. It was excavated in the city wall in the late 19th century to give access to the train station.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Church of Santa Maria de Belém, Lisbon, Portugal

Lisbon's City Walls, Portugal

Hersonissos Roman Fountain, Greece