Showing posts from April, 2018

Lisbon Botanical Garden, Portugal

Lisbon Botanical Garden was founded in 1873, a part of the Lisbon Polytechnic School, intended for scientific research and teaching from the beginning. The place which was chosen for the garden, hill Olivete, already had a long tradition in botanical studies, as the school had previously been the Jesuit College of Cotovia (1609-1759) and the Royal College of Nobles (1761-1837). However, only in 1873, by the initiative of Count of Ficalho, did the current garden start being planted. When it was inaugurated the garden was considered one of the best in Europe and even for today's standards it displays an impressive collection of sub-tropical vegetation. Located on a hill, it's ideal to accommodate a large diversity of plants, with the cactus and succulent plants, which resist better to the heat and sun, on the top and the plants that need more moisture on the bottom. In Summer there can be a difference of 2ºC between top and bottom. The garden includes between 1300 and 1500 spe

Marechal Carmona Park, Cascais

The land where Marechal Carmona Park is located was used for farming and leisure since de 16th century. It was later acquired by the Order of the Barefoot Carmelites and sold at a public auction after religious orders were extinct in Portugal, in 1834. The place was then bought by Viscount of Gandarinha, who turned it into a romantic park. In 1944 the park, already in the possession of the State, was joined to the Gardens of the Counts of Castro Guimarães and opened to the public. After the 1974 Revolution, that put an end to the dictatorial regime of Estado Novo, the park was renamed to Gandarinha but it is still better known as Marechal Carmona, president during Estado Novo. Every Saturday there's an Organic Market in the park. It's the ideal place to relax while touring Cascais: it has a picnic area, a playground, a junior library and a coffee shop. Opening hours: Nov. to Mar 8h30 to 17h45; Apr. to Oct. 8h30 to 19h45. Entrance free

Foz Palace, Lisbon, Portugal

The Foz Palace, originally known as Castelo Melhor Palace, was built in the 18th century after the old palace of the Marquis of Castelo Melhor was destroyed by the 1755 earthquake.The construction of the palace was suspended when the Marquis died and was only resumed a few decades later, in 1846. It was finally concluded in 1858. However, the family didn't live in the palace for long as it was sold to Tristão Guedes, later Marquis of Foz, after whom the palace is named. Tristão Guedes ordered a substantial renovation of the building, inspired by the 18th-century French architecture. From this period there are the famous Louis XIV style staircase, the Louis XV style hall of mirrors, decorated by a well known Portuguese painter, Columbano Bordalo Pinheiro (unfortunately one of his poorest works, dubbed the infanticide of painting), a Louis XVI style room decorated by another famous Portuguese painter, Jose Malhoa. The Marquis of Foz eventually went bankrupt and the palace and it