Cathedral of Our Lady, Antwerp, Belgium

The Cathedral of Our Lady was built on top of a small chapel, also dedicated to Our Lady, that existed from the 9th to the 12th century. In the 12th century, after acquiring the status of Parish, the chapel was replaced by a larger church.
Construction of the Cathedral seen today, which would become the largest Gothic church in Belgium, started in 1352. It was finally completed in 1521 but in 1533 a fire destroyed it inside. In the next centuries, the church was several times damaged and plundered and it was only in the 19th century that it was completely restored and refurbished. It was also in the 19th century that three Rubens' masterpices, taken away by the French revolutionaries in 1794, were returned from Paris.
The belfry of the cathedral is included in the Belfries of Belgium and France, classified as World Heritage by UNESCO.

Opening hours: Mon. to Fri. 10 am to 5 pm; Sat 10 am to 3 pm; Sun. 1 pm to 4 pm
Entrance fee: €6
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gates of Mdina, Malta

Church of Santa Maria de Belém, Lisbon, Portugal

Lisbon's City Walls, Portugal

Archaeological excavations in Lisbon's Cathedral Cloister, Portugal