Fronteira Palace, Lisbon, Portugal

Fronteira Palace started being built in 1670, right after the Restoration War, due to which D. João de Mascarenhas became the Marquis de Fronteira as a reward for his military feats.
The Palace was initially a Hunting Pavilion and a Summer Residence but after the main residence, more close to Lisbon was destroyed by the 1755 earthquake, it became the seat of House Fronteira. The Palace was not affected by the earthquake due to the basaltic soil it stands on but after it became the family's main residence the Palace was significantly enlarged and renovated.
Fronteira Palace is located close to Monsanto Park and is classified as a national monument since 1982, including the gardens, a chapel, a gallery with all the Portuguese monarchs- except the Spanish dynasty against which the Marquis de Fronteira went to war- and a small pavilion with a water tank. It is said that this pavilion is decorated with the pieces of broken plates used in a banquet held for king D. Pedro II, as it was a tradition to break the plates used by the king. All the Restoration battles are depicted on the tiles of the magnificent Restoration War room.
The Palace is still inhabited by the family and thus only a small part and the gardens can be visited.

Opening hours: The Palace can only be visited in the morning. 
Jun. to Sep.:  Mon. to Sat. 10h30; 11h00; 11h30 and 12h00.
Oct. to May:  Mon. to Sat. 11h00 and 12h00.
Entrance fee: €9 Palace and Gardens; €3 just the Gardens.
How to go: from the Jardim Zoológico metro station you can either take the bus 770 or walk for about 20 minutes through Rua das Furnas and a pedestrian bridge over the railway. 




























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Martim Moniz Square, Lisbon, Portugal

The Gates of Mdina, Malta

Church of Santa Maria de Belém, Lisbon, Portugal

Lisbon's City Walls, Portugal