Lisbon Greenhouse, Portugal

At the turn of the 19th century, there used to be a basalt quarry on the site that, due to the existence of a water spring, had to stop operating.



In 1912 a small space to shelter and adapt delicate plants was created. These plants were arriving from different parts of the world and were intended to nearby Avenida da Liberdade. However, the transfer to the avenue was delayed due to WWI and the plants started developing in the space where they were deposited.



In 1926 architect and painter Raul Carapinha found a pleasant space and designed the Cold Greenhouse, inaugurated in 1930.



During the 1940s both Edward VII Park and the Greenhouse were remodelled. In 1975 the Hothouse and the Sweet House were added, expanding the botanical collection to include tropical and equatorial plant species.


Currently, there are hundreds of different plant specimens from all over the world among rocks, lakes and waterfalls. The name Cold Greenhouse comes from the temperature being naturally controlled by wooden slats with no need for additional heating. The temperature in the Hothouse is also controlled naturally by a glass roof. The Sweet House is the smallest of the three and houses cactus plants.

Opening hours: 10 am to 9 pm (5 pm Nov.-Mar.)
Entrance fee: €3.10
How to go: Marques de Pombal or Parque metro stations.

Back to Lisbon











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Martim Moniz Square, Lisbon, Portugal

The Gates of Mdina, Malta

Church of Santa Maria de Belém, Lisbon, Portugal

Lisbon's City Walls, Portugal