The Firkas Fortress, Chania, Greece

The walls around Chania were originally built in antiquity. The inner walls were rebuilt by the Byzantine Empire in the 6th and 7th centuries and again in the 10th century after being destroyed by the Arab attackers. The outer walls were built by the Republic of Venice in the 16th century. The Firkas fortress was built in 1620 to defend Chania's harbour and control its entrance. During Turkish domination the fortress was used as a barrack, getting its current designation, Firka. Today it houses the Maritime Museum of Crete.

Back to Chania





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Martim Moniz Square, Lisbon, Portugal

The Gates of Mdina, Malta

Church of Santa Maria de Belém, Lisbon, Portugal

Lisbon's City Walls, Portugal