Church of São João Evangelista, Vila Viçosa, Portugal



The church of São João Evangelista (Saint John the Evangelist), also known as the church of São Bartolomeu (Saint Bartholomew), was built in the 17th century in the Baroque style, by order of the Dukes of Braganza- later the monarchs of Portugal- as the church of the Jesuit college. The church was never concluded as the Jesuits were expelled from Portugal in 1759. The facade of the church is covered in marble from the region.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Martim Moniz Square, Lisbon, Portugal

The Gates of Mdina, Malta

Church of Santa Maria de Belém, Lisbon, Portugal

Lisbon's City Walls, Portugal